Data Center Wiring Standards

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sat Sep 9 13:06:24 UTC 2006

Rick Kunkel <kunkel at w-link.net> writes:

> Can anyone tell me the standard way to deal with patch panels, racks, and
> switches in a data center used for colocation?

Network Cabling Handbook by Chris Clark is a bit dated (5 years old)
but probably should be on your bookshelf anyway, particularly since it
is ridiculously cheap used/new on Amazon (I got my copy a couple of
years ago after a friend tipped me off that they were on sale for
$5.99 on clearance at Micro Center).  It's mostly geared to the
enterprise but it does have a chapter on doing communication rooms
which is probably a good starting point.  ISBN 0-07-213233-7

Also, no substitute for visiting your competition and taking a survey
of how others, particularly larger datacenters,  are doing it.  :)

                                        ---Rob