Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Fri Sep 8 20:27:29 UTC 2006

>> More to the point, how can ARIN refuse such an order?

I would guess ARIN's point is "It's not yours to give" and that the
original court overstepped their bounds and clearly misunderstood the
whole notion of IP address "ownership."

Also, I think your example is almost as flawed as mine, and the
bidding for spectrum establishes a marketplace for it, while there is
no such thing for IP space.

I think a closer example is an operation that has phone numbers,
or perhaps more specifically, a 555 number.   555 numbers are supposed
to be for "information services" and are assigned based on some guidelines.
Suppose I win a suit against some bozo who runs just such a service
and has a 555 number and I get awarded his assets.  So, I sell the
"information services company" but keep the 555 number for myself
(because it would be cool).

Should I be allowed to keep the 555 number, or should I have to establish
that my use will fit under the current guidelines, just like everyone else?

-mark

P.S.  I get NANOG in digest form, so I may not be completely
      up-to-date on this discussion.