comast email issues, who else has them?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 6 20:54:35 UTC 2006

Thus spake "Sean Donelan" <sean at donelan.com>
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Tony Li wrote:
>> I've taken the rather extreme approach of bouncing everything through
>> Gmail first.  Let's see them block Google.  ;-)
>
> Patient: Doctor, Doctor, It hurts when I do this.
> Doctor: Don't do that.

Not very helpful advice when Comcast's mail servers block about 75% (but
oddly not 100%) of mail _to or from_ specific domains, and the reason
stated for rejection is obviously false after only a couple seconds of
investigation.

Telling half my family members they have to go get Gmail so they can
email the other half of my family members is ridiculous.  Too bad
Comcast has a monopoly (or, where a duopoly, the competition is just as
incompetent) so they have no incentive to fix it.

> There are lots of Mail Service Providers.  AOL, Comcast, Gmail, Yahoo,
> Outblaze, whoever, each have their own quirks and problems.  All have
> blocked various sources including each other at one time or another.
> Some people complain about some of the decisions made by each of
> them; while other people applaud the same decisions.

Very few people ever applaud a provider blocking legitimate mail.

> Perhaps people are using the wrong tools to solve the problems?

Because Comcast's tools are broken and when other mail admins or even
their own customers call them on it, they're not even competent enough
to understand the complaint and refuse to escalate?