Router / Protocol Problem

Mike Walter mwalter at 3z.net
Wed Sep 6 13:04:24 UTC 2006

I normally would not post to the group, but I am 100% stumped and have
talked with peers with no luck.

I have (2) Cisco 7204 Routers running BGP with 3 peers and HSRP.  I am
not doing anything special with BGP, pretty much a default config that
has not changed in years.

Recently with no changes to my network, I have been having problems
connecting to certain websites and mail servers.  I am always able to
ping the sites and trace route without error.  If I telnet to port 80 or
port 25 it does not connect.  If I login to my router and telnet
sourcing my each of Internet Providers ports, I am able to get to the
sites.  I have talked with all the providers and none can find a
problem.  If I shut down one specific peer, everything works fine.  So I
keep thinking it was that peers problem some how.  I have tested with
just that peer up and I still can not connect.  However, when talking
with that peer, they are able to telnet from their network to the sites
I can not reach.  I don't know what else to check besides shutting down
that peer.  Which since it is under a 3 year contract, not an option.
That isn't the real solution anyhow.

Can anyone shed some light on or off-list?

Thanks,

Mike Walter