NNTP feed.

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Sep 5 23:30:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> seems to be loads of people doing a lot of posting and reading, where else
> would the volume of that traffic come from?

I guess experiences differ from different organisations, when I discovered
that server-server traffic was at least 10x more than people actually read
(server-client) I didn't feel like trying to get my (then) employer
continue running the NNTP server.

My feeling today (or rather, 3-5 years ago) is that NNTP is used instead
of bittorrent and other PtP protocols to move copyrighted material, and
I'd say that it probably makes more sense for some to let their users
invest in that drivespace than to have themselves run an NNTP server and
spend operational resources on keeping it running well.

I've also heard people complaining about a few NNTP users causing a lot of
helpdesk tickets in respect to "single message missing" because they
cannot download that 4.7 gig ISO correctly because a message got lost
somewhere in the middle.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se