Spain was offline

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Tue Sep 5 01:26:45 UTC 2006

At 06:05 AM 9/4/2006, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:
>On 01.09 13:47, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> >
> > I can't get a TLD zone? But back to the root servers. Are you
> > agreering with me that if I announce F and I root's netblocks
> > inside of my own network that everyone would be ok with that?
> >
> > C'mon Joe, straight answer on that one. :)
>
>Straight answer: No.
>

>Exercises:
>
>Who is responsible if this set-up fails?
>
>Who is responsible if it lies?
>
>Who is likely to get blamed for any failures?

The burden is already on the provider. The providers
answer the call when these things break or perform badly.

>Would this require explicit consent from all customers
>subject to such treatment?

I don't think so. There's no guarantee that an
internal route facing a customer is "RIPE K ROOT".
Peers may feel differently, but I wouldn't advocate
exporting (unless they did and perhaps would pay me for
better access to the application). That's different.

[ snip ]

-M<

(thanks for operating K, it is one of the better ones from my
  measurements but that's part of the problem now isn't it? Consistency
  in some areas.)

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com