Extreme Slowness

Adam Rothschild asr+nanog at latency.net
Fri Oct 27 15:54:16 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-27-07:37:37, Elijah Savage <esavage at digitalrage.org> wrote:
> Because of contractual issues it makes it very hard for me to
> participate on this list hence the vague original post.

I can understand you might have various NDAs in place limiting what
you can and can't disclose.

Unfortunately, without full information, it is difficult to provide a
full and proper diagnosis.

> I was just asking a general question to see if anyone else was
> having issues.

See, therein lies the problem.

As pointed out in recent congressional testimony by the esteemed
Senator from Alaska, the internets are comprised of very many
tangled-up tubes.  At any given time, something just isn't working.
Without source and destination IP addresses, it's difficult to
determine whether a problem is global in scope (entirely appropriate
for this list), or an end-user issue (inappropriate for this list,
though some folk may beg to differ :-), as suggested by your snippet
of 'traceroute' output -- and ultimately take corrective action.

> I have peering points with Broadwing(now level3), Sprint, AT&T and
> MCI (now Verizon) that I can test for throughput from.

This phraseology is also a bit confusing, though sadly, all too common
these days.  Unless you're settlement-free, a better idea might be to
word this as "I buy transit from..." or perhaps more appropriately,
"My cable MSO buys transit from..."

> This was not just about home cable connectivity though when
> frontline starts to get calls I often use wget (very low overhead)
> to test throughput between my sites or to home my home box often
> times simulating the same sort of connectivity that a customer may
> have. There were customers that could not even get to level3.net
> yesterday which is their home page

Be that as it may, a little information would have helped greatly.
Had you said this sooner, and backed it up with some supporting data
such as IP addresses and perhaps 'wget' output, chances are we
wouldn't be having this discussion.

On the other hand, if you can't trust us, perhaps a better course of
action would be to open trouble tickets with your provider(s)...

-a