register.com down sev0?

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Oct 26 21:10:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Randy Bush wrote:
> > I don't want to detract from the heat of this discussion, as
> > important as it is, but it (the discussion) illustrates a point
> > that RIPE has recognized -- and is actively perusing -- yet, ISPs
> > on this continent seem consistently to ignore: The consistent
> > implementation of BCP 38.
>
> oh?  you have knowledge that this botnet attack used spoofed source
> addresses?

what's curious, to me atleat, is that folks equate 'botnet' and 'spoofed
source attacks' more often than I'd think is reasonable. I've not got
'hard numbers' but almost every time the attack is determined to be
'botnet' it's not spoofed.

Odd... (not that I'm against bcp38, I just think the distraction in
conversation from 'bcp38 is good' to 'we must stop bots' is not helpful)