register.com down sev0?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Oct 26 15:34:40 UTC 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

> the case for which we know bcp 38 is useful, is the dns reflector
> attack.  so far, botnets seem to have no need to spoof, they just
> overwhelm you with zombies from real space.

Incorrect.

While that is one mode of attack from a botnet, it is not the only
mode.  And there are reasons for even botnets to spoof source
addresses.  And reasons that the attack-ee would prefer they did not.

Randy, are you REALLY arguing -against- BCP38?  Or just yanking
Fergie's chain 'cause it wouldn't have helped in this particular
instance?

--
TTFN,
patrick