10,352 active botnets (was Re: register.com down sev0?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:25:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:11:14 -0000, Fergie said:
> I don't want to detract from the heat of this discussion, as
> important as it is, but it (the discussion) illustrates a point
> that RIPE has recognized -- and is actively perusing -- yet, ISPs
> on this continent seem consistently to ignore: The consistent
> implementation of BCP 38.
>
> It is nothing less than irresponsible, IMO...
>
> Why _is_ that?

The same people I mentioned the other day as not having enough clue to
do DNS correctly don't have enough clue to do BCP38 correctly either.
As one person mentioned, if stuff still requires pioneer-level skillsets
to use, the pioneers have more work to do.  The problem is that the
following wave seems to be made up mostly of chimpanzees, and nobody's
figured out how to make routers and network services that can be run
by chimps...

Maybe the new slogan needs to be "Save the Internet! Train the chimps!"