register.com down sev0?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Oct 26 15:24:22 UTC 2006

> I don't think I implied anything of the sort.

ahhh, but you did.

>>> I don't want to detract from the heat of this discussion, as
>>> important as it is, but it (the discussion) illustrates a point
>>> that RIPE has recognized -- and is actively perusing -- yet, ISPs
>>> on this continent seem consistently to ignore: The consistent
>>> implementation of BCP 38.
>
> oh?  you have knowledge that this botnet attack used spoofed source
> addresses?

if the register.com botnet attack was not from spoofed addresses,
then bcp 38 would not have helped.

the case for which we know bcp 38 is useful, is the dns reflector
attack.  so far, botnets seem to have no need to spoof, they just
overwhelm you with zombies from real space.

randy