passports for NANOG-39, Toronto

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Thu Oct 26 10:59:10 UTC 2006

> You may have heard that the US and Canada are going to start requiring
> passports for air travel between them beginning "soon".  That date is
> currently set as 8 Jan 2007, which is before February NANOG.  MERIT
> has noted this on the web site, but a cursory check of my list
> archives didn't turn up mention of it (sorry if I overlooked it; the
> last couple of weeks have been hectic), so I figured I'd include the
> pointer:

FYI, this date only applies to air or sea (which I imagine is the bulk
of people going). However, for land crossings:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

"The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires
that, by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda,
Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted
document to enter or re-enter the United States."

[...]

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases.   The
proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or
from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and
Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all land border crossings, as
well as air and sea travel.