register.com down sev0?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 04:24:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 18:41 -0700, Matt Ghali wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing *.register.com down (including ns*) from everywhere. Just a
> > heads-up.
>
> I'll take your word on exhaustively checking every possible
> address. BTW, do you mean nameservers down, webservers down, or
> something else? Did the Internet break?
>
> > Would be interesting to see the RFO for that one, including the
> > "why we didn't have any DNS servers offsite
>
> They colo in more than a half-dozen facilities around the world.
>
> > or used anycast to at least limit amount of damage".
>
> I also have information from a pretty good source that they actually
> do quite a bit of anycast.

There are two sides to rcom, the mom&pop side (aka register.com) and the
partner side (Rconnection, for folks with ~25+ domains registered).   On
the mom&pop side they don't have (as far as I am concerned) a highly
redundant and distributed DNS system.  That opinion is based on a few
hours of research abt 2 years ago.  Over on the partner side they
outsource the DNS systems for their customers to eNom, which does use a
highly redundant and distributed anycast setup.  I haven't seen any
problems wrt DNS for my systems today (eNom via rcom), so I can only
presume the OP was referring to the mom&pop side of rcom.

-Jim P.