register.com down sev0?

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Oct 26 02:10:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Matt Ghali wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing *.register.com down (including ns*) from everywhere.
> They are apparently under a multi-gbps ddos of "biblical proportions".
As pointed out by Rob Seastrom in private email, RFC2182 addresses things
of biblical proportions - such as dispersion of nameservers geographically
and topologically. Having 3 secondaries, only one of them on separate /24,
and none of them on topologically different network does not qualify.

Given that register.com is/was public (I think?) - I wonder what are their
sarbox auditors saying about it now ;)

Compliance of icann-accredited gtld-registrars with rfc2182 might be a
good subject for research (again, thanks to rs for idea)....

-alex