Collocation Access

Derek J. Balling deballing at vassar.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:10:58 UTC 2006

>> Florida law, Title 13 section 322.32(2), "Unlawful use of license"
>> says
>> "[i]t is a misdemeanor of the second degree ... for any person ...
>> [t]o lend
>> his or her driver's license to any other person or knowingly
>> permit the use
>> thereof by another."
>
> That statute deals with someone else _using_ my license, but in no way
> implies that my license can't be _held_ by someone else.   The title
> clearly states "use". ;-)

The definition of "use" may be very key, as others have pointed out:

	- They are "using" it for collateral.
	- They are "using" it to keep track of who is in their facility at
any given time in a manner convenient to them

Also, in english this sentence as parsed as:

	( condition_1 ) OR ( condition_2 )

which would mean

	( you lend ) OR ( you permit the use of )

which then asks "what's the definition of 'lend'"?  Merriam-Webster
includes among its many definitions, "to put at another's temporary
disposal," which it certainly seems would apply, as the ID *is* at
their disposal temporarily.

So don't kid yourself that it's really all that clear-cut....  Get a
lawyer. :-)

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling
Manager of Systems Administration