Practical Common Practice for Collocation Access

Mike Hughes mike at smashing.net
Tue Oct 24 10:13:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Is it enough of a problem, network operators would be interested in
> publishing some Practical Common Practices (I hesitate to call it a BCP)
> collocation facilities could follow for some common access control scenarios?
> Tenent access, pre-screened carrier, unscreened vendor, etc.

It's something which is being looked at in the UK right now as well (as
LLU expands, as well as non-PTT/CO housing locations).

So, I think it's probably worth doing, and maybe try to harmonise as much
as possible internationally, so that we don't have the ID "xenophobia" Joa
eluded to.

> I wouldn't be surprised if most co-lo's don't actually have good reasons why
> they do some things, and if presented with a reasonable industry agreed
> practice, would adopt it.

Totally agree with that assertion. Some just do things because it seemed
like the right thing to do at the time, and the history of "why?" is often
lost along the way, so that when someone challenges it later, no one can
substantiate why the rule exists.

Cheers,
Mike