Need help explaining in-addr.arpa to Limelight

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Oct 23 22:35:35 UTC 2006

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I seem to be having a problem. Limelight has SWIP'd
> 69.28.185.0/24 to me, and I asked for IN-ADDR.ARPA control.
> I recently went to check and it seemed not to be working
> right. I sent them an email around 11p Eastern Sunday nite
> asking it to be fixed. I even included a reference to a
> web page on how to delegate in-addr.arpa.  I received the
> following back :
>
> "This is done, but you will need to rename the zone on your
> end to: tboh.185.28.69.in-addr.arpa."

In case they do a:
1.185.28.69.in-addr.arpa. CNAME 1.tboh.185.28.69.in-addr.arpa.

That would partially make sense, though it still wouldn't as you don't
have control over tboh.x.x.x... unless they delegate that to you, but
that wouldn't make sense either as they can just NS the 185 also already...

> 	Is there someone out there that might be able
> to help me explain this to the techs there. That you
> can't "subdomain" an in-addr.arpa like you do a domain
> name?

Why not? Reverse DNS is just another domain, you can also stick MX
records in there or have a nice website if you want ;)

tuc at tboh.185.28.69.in-addr.arpa can work quite well as an email address
if you stick the MX's in the right spot. Not very useful but still.
Quite a number of operators stick stuff like TXT records in there too to
describe topology and other informational elements related to that
domain. There are even some anti-spam proposals doing that afaik.

That is though probably not what you want to accomplish though.

According to dig the domain is currently pointing to zoneedit:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
185.28.69.in-addr.arpa. 7200    IN      NS      ns13.zoneedit.com.
185.28.69.in-addr.arpa. 7200    IN      NS      ns8.zoneedit.com.

You'll have to insert your cruft there or have them repoint it to a dns
server under your control.

And remember kids, don't spam the dns; there is a better use for IP
addresses by for instance hungry children with hand-winded laptops.

Greets,
 Jeroen