Collocation Access

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Oct 23 21:33:41 UTC 2006

At 1:07 PM -0400 10/23/06, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

>What I've never understood is, that, how a gov't issue ID (for the
>purposes of allowing entry) is of any use whatsoever.
>
>It's not as if someone is doing a instand background check to know if
>the person is a criminal, or wanted, or whatever. It's trivial to forge
>a gov't ID.

I'll disagree; it's rather challenging to create a state drivers license or
state ID card which will also pass third-party database verification.
Hence, a requirement for such an ID supplied in advance with enough
time to verify it provides a very solid basis of identification.

(As smb noted, it says nothing at all about authorization, but that's
a different problem which one can address after you have a high
enough certainty for identification).

/John