Boeing's Connexion announcement

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Sat Oct 14 06:13:02 UTC 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Rodney Joffe wrote:

> Maybe the Connexion folks on the list could tell us what is needed
> to make it work on the network side - I'm sure we have enough
> resources between us to handle that. And there are a number of
> aircraft that already have the equipment...

The biggest obstacles to success for a service of this type are a)
high cost and b) the lack of AC power throughout most commercial
airliners.  Some folks are willing to put up with a), but not for
just a couple of hours due to b).

Until AC power is prevalent throughout the cabins of commercial
airliners, it's unclear whether such a service will attract
sufficient subscribers to become economically viable, IMHO.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

Any information security mechanism, process, or procedure which can
be consistently defeated by the successful application of a single
class of attacks must be considered fatally flawed.

     -- The Lucy Van Pelt Principle of Secure Systems Design