Experiences on dampening

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Mon Oct 9 17:09:51 UTC 2006

Hey all, attempting to assess something related to networking but its on
the SIP/telephony side of things. I'd like to know how many have had
success and failures with route dampening. Purpose of this question is,
I'm wondering about a method a VoIP PBX could take similar to BGP's
dampening where the following would occur:

SIPUSER REGISTER (SEND SIPINFO + IP_INFO) --> Server

If SIPUSER decides to either REGISTER, INVITE, SUBSCRIBE, etc., in an
insane amount of time, VoIP PBX would take action on it. Give SIPUSER an
initial penalty and increment it justly however, it *cannot* be address
based. It would likely be two predefined variables.  Overall I just
would like to know experiences, pros and cons, with dampening.

Thanks in advanced.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams