OT: How to stop UltraDNS sales people calling

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Nov 29 18:12:29 UTC 2006

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:56:19PM -0600, Gadi Evron wrote:
>> Okay, this was fun and I am all for OT fun. But can we please stop putting
>> down a part of our community? Especially one which contributes to NANOG so
>> much?
>>
>> We all have sale trolls to live with.
>
> I both agree and disagree.  I agree that the put-downs are a bit
> excessive (I laughed more than once :-) ), but I disagree with
> the "sale trolls" comment.
>
> UltraDNS's sales staff *does not* have to behave like this.

Agreed.  When I get such calls, the first question I ask is, "Is this a
sales call?"  If I get an honest "Yes", I'm somewhat more inclined to
continue the conversation.  If the first thing a salesperson tells me is
a lie, game over.

Similarly, any company that spams me selling network equipment or
connectivity is clearly way beyond stupid and not one with which I would
ever consider doing business.

Yes, this thread is OT to a large extent, but we are network operators.
Many of us have sales staff.  Educating our own sales people on what not
to do is a step towards noise reduction, albeit out-of-band noise as far
as this forum is concerned.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net