ARIN Lawsuit - Comments anyone?

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Fri Nov 17 11:02:18 UTC 2006

My question is whether the number resource including IP address is
trading item or not.
In my understanding, IP address is allocated from ARIN based on use
right, not as an asset.
If one network is acquired by somebody else, IP address is transfer to
new guy based on network engineering plan, not by the money itself.
So I think the court itself is not valid.
The court considered it as asset, but it is not.
It is same as the phone number.
If the phone number is assigned to A, and A has debt to B,
the court can not order B to have that number unless B has actual phone
line AND follow the procedure for those transfer.
I think it applies same to IP address resource.

So I think ARIN should not deal with Mr. Kremen in private talk.
ARIN should go with upper court authority to make it annulled.

Otherwise, if people think and agree that IP address is asset, which can
be traded, ARIN should sell it, and doesn't need to go through
justification process.

Hyun
Senior Network Engineer/Apps Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications

* This is my private opinion, and doesn't represent my employer,
Norlight official position.