Network Connectivity... Dealing with Providers

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Nov 16 13:20:36 UTC 2006

Ray Burkholder wrote:
> If you have Cisco routers on either end, use the built in SLA capability.
> It will give you ongoing abilty to trace latency, loss, jitter.  It won't
> tell you bandwidth, but will give you a set of metrics for traffic quality.
> Do a full mesh between all your edge devices and it might help track where
> in the middle your issues reside.  The SLA tools are pretty standard to
> Cisco devices and so should give you an edge in getting people to listen to
> you.

Thanks for all the responses. I wish I had Cisco on both ends I would
have configured auto-qos but
I'm stuck on Adtran (client) and I believe Juniper (provider). Anyhow
for those who enquired, this is
what I am currently doing for my connectivity testing: (M = my
connections, C = client)

M(GBLX) --> tcptraceroute && iperf && ping --> Client
M(LVLT) --> same as above --> Client
M(DSL) --> same as above --> Client
M(Verio) -- > same as above --> Client

C --> bing (Google, MSN, *PROVIDER*) && tcptraceroute --> M(GBLX)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(LVLT)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(DSL)
C --> tcptraceroute --> M(Verio)

So far I have come across the following oddity I can't put my finger on:

# bing -P -D -c 25 -e 3 xxx.xxx.1.177 xxx.xxx.1.182

bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (136 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36
bing: packet (72 bytes) from unexpected host xxx.xxx.24.36

See a problem? xxx.xxx.24.36 is the provider's router two hops before the
CPE. I'm thinking, filtering? Maybe, I have no idea why xxx.xxx.24.36 is
getting in the mix of my packets. I have this scenario running every 15
minutes from all locations.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated @ net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams