How to get a list of research and academic ISP ?

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Wed Nov 15 21:16:51 UTC 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Maciej Kurant wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I am a PhD student at EPFL, Switzerland. My recent research
> interest is in large scale differences between the commercial and
> academic parts of the Internet.
>

> Of course, in order to perform this kind of studies I need a way to
> distinguish between these two worlds. I’ve learnt that Abilene does
> not provide commercial connectivity. This means that BGP prefixes
> and AS paths announced by Abilene BGP routers should lead only to
> research and academic destinations. I have extracted (from the BGP
> tables at http://abilene.internet2.edu/observatory) a list of all
> such destinations and obtained 1333 ASes (for data form July 2006).
> The number looks reasonable, but I would like to be sure that I am
> not making a mistake. Therefore I would be grateful if you could
> answer the following questions:
>

> 1)       Is this approach to obtain a list of research and academic
> ISPs correct?

It's a way. The trouble is that

- most I2 As's also have "I1" connections and run BGP on that as well.
- Any corporate member of I2 has the right to announce their routes
into I2

What I would do is to take the list and look at the names (on a list
such as

http://www.multicasttech.com/status/asn_expand.txt

 From the name of the institution, you should be able to tell in most
cases.

> 2)       Do you maybe know of such lists compiled before?
>
> 3)       If I keep not only the destination ASes, but also all ASes
> on the AS paths towards these destination I obtain a list of about
> 1400 ASes. How should I understand this? Does it mean that some
> research and academic destinations are reachable from Abilene only
> by traversing the commercial Internet?

There are certainly some academic aggregation SP's - NYSERNET and
CANARIE and RENATER (google on those) come to mind.
> 4)       Of course, research and academic ASes are often well
> connected to the commercial Internet. My guess is that in most
> cases their peering relationship is “customer-provider”, where
> commercial ASes are providers. Is it possible that an academic AS
> is a provider for some commercial ASes? If so, does it happen often?

It may happen, but probably not often.

> Thank you in advance for your comments.
>
> Maciej Kurant

Hope this helps.