IP adresss management verification

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Nov 13 16:39:53 UTC 2006

> > They ask for it.

> Is the policy still that dedicated IP addresses for web
> hosts *should* only be used when technical justification
> exists?  I really wish it would change to a requirement
> as we very frequently get new hosting customers who get
> angry when they find their site that doesn't have SSL
> or any other technical reason for a dedicated IP ends up
> on a shared IP when their old host didn't do that or
> would sell them a dedicated IP for $5/month, etc.

SSL is a technical justification for separate IP
addresses for web hosts. Virtual servers is another
technical justification for assigning multiple IP
addresses to a single physical server.

ISPs should really make it clear to their customers
which features are included in a product and which
ones are not. There is no reason why you could not
have offered a "web hosting" product with no SSL
capability at one price point and a "secure web
hosting" product with SSL at another pricepoint.
What is the point in leaving things vague?

And if you look at this template
http://www.arin.net/registration/templates/net-isp.txt
updated in September, it no longer mentions web
hosting.

--Michael Dillon