[c-nsp] [Re: huge amount of weird traffic on poin-to-point ethernet link]

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Nov 9 23:39:36 UTC 2006

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> <andrew2 at one.net> writes:
>
>>> Steve's 100% spot-on here.  I don't have bogon filters at all and it
>>> hasn't hurt me in the least.  I think the notion that this is somehow
>>> a good practice needs to be quashed.
>> Some people don't use condoms with hookers either.  Just because they
>> haven't caught anything yet doesn't make it a smart practice.
>
> On the other hand, compulsive hand washing has never been shown to
> keep disease away, and may actually cause dry skin and other
> unintended side effects.

Speaking as someone with a degree in Molecular Biology (gasp!) the
dry/damaged skin can actually be a way to increase the susceptibility to
bacterium/virons.

As for bogon filtering...when there is a perfectly good, perfectly
responsible bogon source you can BGP peer with that is rigorous in its
maintenance of good data... why fight it? Sanity check their feed, call
it a day. Maintaining your own bogon list is a nightmare.

Someone (years ago) said... why would I want to pay to move bogon
traffic across my network when its only going to get dropped by the next
hop anyway -- as a justification for filtering bogons.

Deepak