CWDM equipment (current favorites) (fwd)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Nov 3 22:26:05 UTC 2006

> As there's no specification for 2.5 gigabit ethernet (that I'm aware
> of), and SONET gear with pluggable optics is likely out of your
> league, I'm afraid that's a decision you'll have to make.  :-)
>
> There are plenty affordable[1] options available 1U for switches with
> 10GE uplink ports.  I've had good luck with the Extreme Summit x450.
> If you're a bit more daring, Allied Telesyn recently announced a
> switch with a similar port density, though lacking in the useful
> "bunch of SFPs rather than 10/100/1000 ports" configuration.
>
> More and more, I'm finding it difficult to justify deploying n x GE
> port-channels across dark fiber, when 10GE is a lot easier to scale
> and troubleshoot...

Since we are clarifying...

Yes, 10G is a nice option when you can use reasonably priced optics
(<80km). CWDM (nx2.5 or nx1G) works happily up to 30+db of loss and
reduces complexity if you can avoid all the associated pieces of DWDM
you may need to address conditions in the long reach end of the range.

Deepak