CWDM equipment (current favorites) (fwd)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Nov 3 00:16:36 UTC 2006

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>>> 2.5G are only slightly more expensive than 1G - if you have OC48 gear that
>>> is SFP-capable, by all means, use that.
>>>
>>> 10G CWDM is *rumoured* to exist, but I don't think there are any
>>> production ones yet. Feel free to correct me. 10G is all DWDM, and so far
>>> very pricy.
>> I think this is the rub (regarding multirate optics). What I'd love to
>> be able to do is take a multirate optic and shove it into some 1U type
>> switch or router that takes several gigabits of a IP or Ethernet frames
>> and load balances them PPP or CEF style across a few 2.5/2.7G lambdas.
>> So say 10 gigabits of traffic over 4 lambdas. I don't need to replicate
> Well, that's how LX4 actually works internally - but you can't plug in
> your own optics for those 4 cwdm channels :(
>
> Why not just do 10G natively? (LX4 or DWDM or whatever?)

10G is fine, but a coarse step price-wise. (boxes that are 1U that
uplink 10G often have >10G of input traffic possible). I like being able
to plug optics in as we need more upink. If its not feasible, well then. :)

>> GE signaling or SONET signaling... just move the bits. I know this is
>> very easy (trivial even) at 1G signaling rates, I never understood
>> [other than for markup purposes] why the vendors don't let those uplink
>> ports be 2.5G capable.
> You *have* to deal with signaling somehow, because of regeneration of the
> signal, so you have to have your own kind of signaling (whether sonet or
> ethernet or ...) on these lambdas.

We aren't dealing with regeneration in the scenario I'm talking about...
but since its possible in LX4 and other things... it should be possible
in crafted solution. Since there doesn't seem to be a solution off the
shelf to say make a 3750 uplink at 2.5G... I guess we'll just be old
fashioned. :)

Thanks,

Deepak