CWDM equipment (current favorites) (fwd)

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Nov 2 22:33:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Deepak Jain wrote:

> >> We need to place a new order for some new fiber builds and were
> >> considering some other vendors. Especially in the nx2.5G and nx10G (are
> >> CWDM x-cievers even available in 10G yet?) range. Anyone have any new
> >> favorites?
> > 2.5G are only slightly more expensive than 1G - if you have OC48 gear that
> > is SFP-capable, by all means, use that.
> >
> > 10G CWDM is *rumoured* to exist, but I don't think there are any
> > production ones yet. Feel free to correct me. 10G is all DWDM, and so far
> > very pricy.
>
> I think this is the rub (regarding multirate optics). What I'd love to
> be able to do is take a multirate optic and shove it into some 1U type
> switch or router that takes several gigabits of a IP or Ethernet frames
> and load balances them PPP or CEF style across a few 2.5/2.7G lambdas.
> So say 10 gigabits of traffic over 4 lambdas. I don't need to replicate
Well, that's how LX4 actually works internally - but you can't plug in
your own optics for those 4 cwdm channels :(

Why not just do 10G natively? (LX4 or DWDM or whatever?)

> GE signaling or SONET signaling... just move the bits. I know this is
> very easy (trivial even) at 1G signaling rates, I never understood
> [other than for markup purposes] why the vendors don't let those uplink
> ports be 2.5G capable.
You *have* to deal with signaling somehow, because of regeneration of the
signal, so you have to have your own kind of signaling (whether sonet or
ethernet or ...) on these lambdas.

-alex