Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

Rick Wesson wessorh at ar.com
Fri May 26 23:47:04 UTC 2006

> I am saying I am reading the OARC comments and this is sort of what
> it fees like. As much as Gadi seems to appropriate others credit,
> Randy Vaugh and him have been doing this work for some time and
> deserves some credit so I'd say "have you spoken to them about how
> to make their report better" yet instead of "create more".

Yes, we have worked with Gati and Randy Vaugh; infact randy helped me
out today; thanks randy!

There is a difference in how Randy/Gati collect data and how we collect
data. The stuff we publish are from numerous dns based realtime
blacklists and spam traps we run. Other folks black-hole botnets and
capture data.

We both come up with a dataset that overlaps but we don't yet know by
how much. So our data is another view using a different methodology and
isn't supposed to be "better" but confirming of where the problem is and
  estimates of its magnitude.

-rick