Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

Rick Wesson wessorh at ar.com
Fri May 26 18:50:21 UTC 2006

John,

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that we haven't found a reliable way to identify
dynamic blocks. Should anyone point me to an authoritative source I'd be
happy to do the analysis and provide some graphs on how dynamic
addresses effect the numbers.

also note that we are using TCP fingerprinting in our spamtraps and
expect to have some interesting results published in the august/sept
time frame. We won't be able to say that a block is dynamic but we will
be able to better understand if we talk to the same spammer from
different ip addresses and how often those addresses change.

I believe that understanding our tcp fingerprinting of spam senders
might be more interesting and relevant to NANOG than how dynamic address
assignments discounts the numbers i posted earlier.

-rick