Black Frog - the botnets keep coming

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Fri May 26 08:45:58 UTC 2006

Gadi Evron wrote:

[...]

> Regular type "fake site" phishing is going to be with us for a long time
> yet but several of the organized crime groups involved are hard at work at
> released Trojan horses using root kit technology daily, which basically
> steals your credentials to every HTTPS site you enter, and reports home.
>
> How do banks, ISP's, or whoever else defend from the roblem moving to the
> user-side? That is a very interesting question indeed. :)

Over here some banks issue customers a password token device that uses a
combination of your card, a number sent by the web site and a PIN to
generate a one-time password. It seems a reasonable system, and isn't
really new technology. However, while bank web site security may be
on-topic for other lists I suspect it's wandering off-topic for NANOG.

Regards,

--
leo vegoda
Registration Services Manager