Black Frog - the botnets keep coming

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri May 26 05:40:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Regardless of the numbers, I think we are currently stuck in a very
> nasty spot
>
> 	1. Reduce the cost of fixing/protecting a computer
> 	2. or increase the losses from compromised computers
>
> Either way, the consumer will eventually end up paying for it.

Systems eventually get replaced (including home ones), so to keep up
the bot numbers new systems need to be able to be just as unsecure and
infectable as old ones. If new systems were 100% protected the number
of bots should in theory start to decrease in the same in the rate
opposite or close to the rate of infection. That it does not happen
means that either:
  1. New systems are still badly engineered as far as security
   or
  2. The infections are not as much product of bad system security
     design as it is result of social engineering schemes that
     certain percent of users are vulnerable to

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net