41/8 announcement

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed May 24 13:14:02 UTC 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 4:37 AM, Richard Mikisa wrote:
[...]
>> >Turns out the folks at fastweb (Italy) NAT there adsl clients but
>> >instead of using the rfc1918 space like most people, they use
>> >unassigned
>> >global /8s. Well 41/8 is one of there NATted allocations for
>> Turin. No
>> >amount of emails will get them to respond, calling isn't any better
>> >as I
>> >get only Italian speaking people at the other end. Any ideas out
>> >there?
>
> Yes: you lose, sorry. :-)
> Many of their networking people are less than clueful, and I fear that
> they are not going to renumber a whole city just to let their
> customers
> communicate with a few African networks...

One of the points of NAT is to make renumbering easy.  Silly them.

I have a rule: Your network, your rules.  If they want to be
disconnected from Africa, you can't stop them.  And they are not
"hijacking" the /8, it is not announced on the 'Net.  This is
identical to a null route inside their ASN.  I would never dream of
telling them they cannot decide which netblocks should be routeable
inside their own ASN.

Fortunately, I have another rule: My network, my rules.  If someone
can find the real addresses for FastWeb uses for the NAT pool and
post it here (and other *NOG lists), networks can ensure that
FastWeb's end users will be unable to communicate with a lot more
than "a few African networks".  I think the show of solidarity would
be good for the 'Net.

--
TTFN,
patrick