MAE-WEST - 55 S Market area equipment sourcing

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Wed May 24 01:22:16 UTC 2006

Sorry for the noise, but this is sorta operational (for me anyway ;-))

We are physically in the process of configuring the connectivity for
NANOG 37. "We" are from "out of town" ;-)

It has not been easy (when has it ever been?).

Accept the following: We have to transit some existing infrastructure
that is restricted to 100Mb FE over Copper with RJ45 connectors.

On one side, we have to connect the FE connection to a Gbic equipped
router over existing single mode, with either an SC or FC connector
(the patch panel accepts either of these).

On the other side of the link we have to connect the FE connection to
a Gbic equipped router over existing multimode mode, with an ST
connector (the patch panel accepts only this)

Can anyone point me to a source in the 55 S Market area that might
have the appropriate intelligent media conversion devices actually in
stock, at a reasonable price, and not "1-2 days" out? Bearing in mind
that besides converting media, I have to convert speed for the Gbics?
And I am trying to avoid the cost of getting two switches, and
installing appropriate Gbics in them :-/

Thanks
/rlj