private ip addresses from ISP

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue May 23 14:07:12 UTC 2006

While we're on the topic, perhaps I should ask for some best practices
(where 'best' equals one for every listserv member) on the use of RFC 1918
addresses within a network provider's infrastructure.

We use private addresses for some stub routes, as well as our cable modems.
Should we aggressively move away from private stub networks?  And for the
second, should we specifically limit access to those cable modem IPs to just
our management network ?  Right now any of customers could do an SNMP sweep
and identify them all, but I don't really care that much about that, or
should I?

And yes, I do have RFC 1918 filters on our outbound traffic. =)

Frank