private ip addresses from ISP

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Tue May 23 06:49:26 UTC 2006

In reality, from what I see, most large ISP doesn't care about RFC1918.
I've been dealing with this issue for a while.
Not all of them, because I didn't deal with all of them.
But some of them has strange policy for ACL, because it has large impact
on router platform CPU utilization.
Strictly some ISP doesn't allow to put ACL for more than 24 hours
including RFC1918 ip address space originated traffic.
So I'm doing it from our core router to block those traffic, and fun to
watch the counters increasing so rapidly. ^.^

For an example,
hryu at chc-core-r1> show firewall filter XXX-in
Filter: XXX-in
Counters:
Name                                                Bytes
Packets
XXX-in-default                      430738360735883         743436641099
XXX-in-rfc1918-10                       12742937908             41900221
XXX-in-loopback                           785367140              2678266
XXX-in-dhcp-default                        36982506               413978
XXX-in-rfc1918-172-16                    1240646548             13026411
XXX-in-test-net                               44318                  621
XXX-in-rfc1918-192-168                   1806857741             17309861
XXX-in-reserved-e-class                           0                    0
ospf-deny                                           14135
     35
h323                                              8785570
186042
XXX-in-microsoft                       305199975828           5751955784
ms-exclude                                      424428929
696688
on-fire                                      173190029170
5970455314

I'm wondering whether this is really about router platform issue, and
they want their customer including smaller ISPs to bill more because of
these junk traffic.

Hyun