How to tell if something is anycasted?

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Wed May 17 15:11:47 UTC 2006

At 10:45 AM 5/17/2006, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

>well Peter, ONE root server operator has that practice.  Others
>have different practices regarding anycast.
>
>--bill

And there are many, with many TLD's.
(rough counts)

provider/tld's

UDNS 48
ISC 19
PCH 8
PSG 23
ICANN 4
UUNET 61
RIPE 87
DEC 10
NIC.FR 71

Note: There is cross servicing of TLDs counted above.

Some numbers may seem low since there seems to be some bit of
obfuscation. Or perhaps not and I just haven't confirmed.

Some are anycasted, some appear to be physical separations, and some
appear to be nested and anycasted i.e. multiple names for the same domain
anycasted.

I think naming is a bad choice because it's costly to the users and opens
the root up to custom configuration by customers which I think is bad.

Tagging the route with a community containing the ISO corresponding country
could be interesting for location purposes, but of course, that's already
been thought of. :)

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com