Proxad? (Was: Drone Armies)

Dave Rand dlr at bungi.com
Tue May 16 22:47:47 UTC 2006

[In the message entitled "Re: Proxad? (Was: Drone Armies)" on May 16, 18:34, Rich Kulawiec writes:]

> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:57:20PM -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > Now this is interesting to me, because proxad has been at least as big a
> > pain in my side as far as drones and SPAM sources. [snip]
> >
> > Anyone else seeing the same amount of problems with these guys?
>
> Yes.  My current list shows 5032 distinct hosts emitting spam from
> within their network, and that's as measured from a very small test
> server -- I would imagine that large production servers are seeing
> a lot more.  This places them behind Comcast, Verizon and a couple
> of others, but still solidly in the top ten.

France, in general, has crept up the list of spam-producing countries.

The ranking of French ISPs is different, depending on if you consider
the volume of spam (weights high-bandwidth ISPs heavier) or number of
hosts.

By volume of spam, it is:

Proxad			12322	38%
France Telecom		 3215	22%
LDCOMNET (cegetel)	15557	17%
NOOS			 6778   6%
Cegetel			 8228   5%

By number of hosts, Proxad and France telecom swap places.

The number of hosts, probably compromised, is very, very high on both.  I'm
seeing about 70,000 hosts used per month on F.T., and about 35,000 per month
on Proxad, but the aggregated number of compromised hosts is much higher.