Geo location to IP mapping

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Mon May 15 23:05:31 UTC 2006

    Hi,

(In a more precise manner)

    I originaly stated that below country (aka, province/state, city,
zip, etc) it wont be very reliable because in my experience we spread
that /20 without the hierarchy you expect.

Meaning:

    . We have subnets on LanEx going outside the city, province/state
and even country;

    . We concentrate compagny with 10 to 50 sites using private ip and a
single internet point;

    . We have dynamic ip users using cable, dsl, dialup and even
long-distance dialup;

More?:

    I'm sure peoples have many more of hierarchy situation like this one.

Solution:

    None really, short of having access the real infrastruture of the ISP.

    I'm sure the IP Location Industry have deals with the major ISP to
get their DB more precise.

    But if the targeted IP is on a smaller outfit the quality of the
informations will not be the same.  This is why I stated that globally
the state/city should be pretty low (50%).

    That good that you have 75% to 85% but I wasn't ignoring the AOL's
in my statement.

    That's all.

    (FYI: The NTP Issue has been resolved (;-} )

Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
P.O. Box 175       Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514-990-9443