MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Mon May 15 07:08:42 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
> >     If we can coral them in it and legislate to have no porn anywhere
> > else than on .xxx ... should fix the issue for the prudes out there.
> And _that_ is *precisely* "why not".  <grin>

There have been at least three generations of proposals for .xxx
1 - In the early days, before ICANN's coup, while there was still
active discussion about how to manage the DNS, there were proposals to
create .sex and/or .xxx to sell to porn sites, and some of the
alt-root types succeeded in making some money doing so.
2 - A few years ago, some US prudes proposed creating a .xxx to exile
all the porn sites too, and at some point proposals were made to ICANN
to create it.
3 - Shortly thereafter, other US prudes who weren't in the loop heard
that there was a proposal to have *pornography* on the *internet*, and
got upset and tried to ban .xxx.

Tree-structured hierarchies are so much fun - there's inherently the
potential for a power struggle for ownership of the root, and it's
quite easy for the tree to absorb competitors or be absorbed by
competitors (e.g. foo.altrootgang1.altroots.net. or
microsoft.com.icannroot. both work, though the former annoys fewer
people.)

And Peter says he's working with Joe Baptista, so he doesn't need Jim
Fleming to make his net.troll quota for the month :-)  (Joe may be a
troll, but he's done some *really* impressive trolling, particularly
involving fax machines and the Canadian government.)
--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.