MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Fri May 12 18:51:13 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Elimination of TLDs would in no way mandate that people register domains
> from one global entity.  Today we have multiple entities registering
> domains back to multiple authorities, why not just have one authority
> and allow for multiple regional registrars.  TLDs just add confusion to
> everything, and add complexity to the back-end.
>
> Perhaps there is a better list to move this discussion to, if someone
> would point me in that direction I would be glad to check it out.

There is no list to which you could move this "discussion" -- that
ship sailed almost 23 years ago (see RFC882 and RFC883).

The complexity added by TLDs has one extremely critical good side
effect:  distribution of load by explicitly avoiding a flat entity
namespace.  The DNS has a hierarchical namespace for a reason, and
arguments to the contrary will convince on the order of sqrt(-1)
people.