MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri May 12 11:00:21 UTC 2006

> Why have a TLD when for most of the world:
>
>     www.cnn.CO.UK is forwarded to www.cnn.COM
>
>     www.microsoft.NET is forwarded to www.microsoft.COM
>
>     www.google.NET is forwarded to www.google.COM

Not all organizations simply FORWARD sites.

At different times I have used www.google.com, www.google.co.uk,
www.google.ca, www.google.ru, www.google.de, and www.google.com.au
They are different because I can select different subsets
of the total database to search.

www.apple.ca does forward, but not as you think. Try it
right now, look at the price of that MacBook Pro
and then see what your Apple Store sells it for.

In the past, some ISPs have use .net for internal
email addresses and .com for customers of their
mail services.

Whether or not it is COMMON for organizations to make
distinctions based on TLDs, some have clearly done so
and I don't see why we should subtract that capability.

Many of the new TLDs that are in operation, and
that are being proposed, are primarily MARKETING EXERCISES.
Let me ask you, does the world need a new way for
pornography to be marketed? When .COM, .EDU, .NET
and .ORG were invented, they had a purpose other than
as marketing exercises. If only we could get some serious
support for new TLDs that make some kind of sense, other
than as marketing opportunities for the small number of
people in the registry and registrar business.

--Michael Dillon