MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Fri May 12 06:28:10 UTC 2006

At 02:22 AM 5/12/2006, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>Fred Baker wrote:
>>On May 11, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>>Why not just plain ole hostnames like nanog, www.nanog, mail.nanog
>>For the same reason DNS was created in the first place. You will
>>recall that we actually HAD a hostname file that we traded around...
>
>Let's not go backwards now.... ;-)
>
>Note: I didn't advocate replacing DNS with host files.  I'll attempt
>to clarify:  If X number of DNS servers can server Y number of TLDs,
>why can't X number of completely re-designed DNS servers handle just
>root domain names without a TLD.
>
>Examples:
>
>     www.microsoft
>     smtp.microsoft
>     www.google
>     www.yahoo
>     mail.yahoo
>
>Why have a TLD when for most of the world:
>
>    www.cnn.CO.UK is forwarded to www.cnn.COM
>
>    www.microsoft.NET is forwarded to www.microsoft.COM
>
>    www.google.NET is forwarded to www.google.COM
>
>    etc., etc.
>
>There are very few arguments that I've heard for even having TLDs in
>the first place.  The most common one was "Businesses will use .COM,
>Networks will use .NET, Organizations and Garden Clubs will use
>.ORG". When in reality Businesses scoop up all the TLDs in their name/interest.

Yes, but that was when you actually wouldn't dare get a .org for
yourself unless
you really were qualified under the guidelines. Same for .net. The
distinctions
have been meaningless for quite some time. They are simply placeholders.

>Why does it matter if your routers and switches are in DNS as
>123.company.NET vrs 123.routers.company
>
>I do understand that today's DNS system was designed with TLDs in
>mind, and probably couldn't just switch over night.  But why can't a
>next-gen system be put in place that puts www.microsoft and
>www.google right where they go now whether you use .net, .com, .org,
>or probably any other TLD?

Im having an offline discussion with a list member and I'll ask, why
does it matter if
you have a domain name if a directory can hold everything you need to
know about them
via key words and ip-addrs, NAT's and all?

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com