Tier Zero (was Re: Tier 2 - Lease?)

Peter Cohen peterattelia at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:48:43 UTC 2006

On 5/4/06, Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/4/06, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:
> >
> >         why would anyone do that?
> >
> > --bill
> >

> Some companies feel entitled to charging more for their routes than
> they would for simple transit.
>
> aaron.glenn

John:
Hopefully this comes out clearly, as writing can be more confusing
than speaking...
Are you getting at Inter AS /SLA/QOS that you would get from transit
vs. best effort peering?   Even that has some issues, the one that
jumps out to me is hopefully clearly stick figure-diagrammed below:

AS#x $--SLA-->Transit  ok...
But...
AS#x $--SLA-->Transit <-(second hop)--Customers/Peers---No Qos/SLA--->

My point is it is hard to do anything beyond the first AS# for any SLA
that you would be paying, since after that the packet switches to no
money packets on a paid connection, pushing out the issue for things
sent down that pipe...

Peter Cohen