Rate-Limiting.

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Fri Mar 31 01:17:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:56:02 -0800
Robert Sherrard <rob at robsherrard.com> wrote:

> I've got a situation in which I'd like to rate limit a few servers
> that hang off of my 6590's... it appears that this can only be done
> on a layer 3 interface. These servers however aren't, they simply on
> a switch port / access. Aside from hard setting the l2 interface to
> 10mbit, can anyone think of another creative way to do this? Is one
> option moving these servers into a separate VLAN, then rate-limiting
> from there?

Is rate limiting by source IP address an acceptable to you?  If so,
then you could do it that way.  An untested example that should set
you out in search of the necessary doc:

  class-map match-all cm-src-specific
   match access-group name acl-src-specific
  !
  interface Vlan99
   service-policy input sp-rate-limit
  !
  policy-map sp-rate-limit
   class cm-src-specific
    police flow mask src-only 1000000 4000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
  !
  ip access-list extended acl-src-specific
   permit ip any any

John