Backbone Monitoring Tools

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 03:28:09 UTC 2006

Do you need generate alerts? Or provide trending information to measure performance?

  I said mrtg or rrd because you can create graphs based on the ping repsonse time & packet loss between the datacenters, you could also create a graph showing how long it takes to transfere a file to remote site. Basic mrtg and a few simple scripts and a webserver.

  If you need something that alerts you with e-mail/pages, then nagios, but you'll spend a lot of time in setup and trying to export the nagios checks to into a someting that makes pretty graphs if you need that.

  I thought the Internap FCP is only for bgp setups, also it doesn't provide the informatoin you're gonna want, at least not that I can tell yet.. :)

Ashe Canvar <acanvar at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses. Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

I already use "remstats"
(http://remstats.sourceforge.net/release/index.html) for interface b/w
monitoring. I have worked with nagios and openview int he past.

I have an ospf based network. The specific monitoring problem I am
trying to solve is :

1. actively test the currently active path for packet loss and transfer
i.e. draw a latency grid between every datacenter and every other
datacenter

2. actively detect routing changes / failover to redundant paths
using traceroutes
i.e. alert if SFO->CHG->NYC changes to SFO->LXE->HOU->NYC
( link state protocols suck as far as testing backup paths go)

3. actively transfer a fixed file
i.e. draw a datarate grid between every datacenter and every other datacenter

So, I am not looking for a generic graphing/alerting NMS. Does anyone
use a specific tool that is capable of doing this ?

I am in a buy vs. build debate with my boss ;)

Regards,
Ashe.