Security control in DSL access network

William Caban william.caban at netxar.com
Mon Mar 27 13:21:28 UTC 2006

I could add that many of the implementations are done using
"professional services" of whoever the manufacturer of the DSLAM is and
it is a very simple and weak configuration. They make sure it works and
thats it. No attention is given to security or performance in any form.
Now, I should also mention that the reason for this is that the
providers usually only pay for this basic configuration and think or
assume they can do the rest. The problem is that a DSLAM configuration
can become so huge once the service start rolling that it is hard for
any one to go back a fix the configurations because of the impact it may
have to the clients. It is not impossible to fix, it will just have an
impact to all the clients arriving to the same DSLAM and this can be
counted in tens of thousands of clients. So the solution is to do it
right from the beginning.

-W

--
William Caban-Babilonia