my favorite DR story

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Mar 26 12:21:35 UTC 2006

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avyakata/67337020/

   This is Manion's Auction House in Kansas City, Kansas. The photo was
taken the day after an F3 tornado went over the top of the site. The
smooth, gray rectangle just below the trailer is not parking ... that is
the floor of what used to be a ranch home on property which had been
hastily tarpapered to protect the basement.

   The tornado took the top floor of the house, which contained about
twenty PCs, four servers, all of their comm gear, and spread it in a
thousand yard long debris field.

   Employees turned out and walked the debris field finger tip to finger
tip, looking for customer consigned property and the contents of their
office. They found every PC, every server, and every bit of
communcations equipment. No one thought to take a picture of their Cisco
3640, which was found under a Catepillar D-7 bulldozer which had been
rolled two hundred yards by the storm.

  The business owner's house is just to the left of the area covered by
the photo and it suffered minor damage. Their systems were brought there
to a room in the basement and the IT guys set to work. Monitors were
destroyed but every single PC was located and found to be operational.
They lost one drive in one raid array on their servers but everything
else was functional. We plugged their 3640, Local Director, and firewall
back in and had them running again five hours after the storm, and that
included my three hour drive time from Omaha.

  They had no off site backup of any of their data and there was no
configuration information on their network beyond my recall of what I'd
help install two years before the tornado. This is certainly a testament
to the value of clean livin', but I sure wouldn't recommend that as a DR
strategy.

--
mailto:Neal at Layer3Arts.com // IM:layer3arts
voice: 402 408 5951