DNS Amplification Attacks

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Mar 22 23:49:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:33:55PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Peter Dambier:
> > How about alternative roots? ICANN does censor "XN--55QX5D.", "XN--FIQS8S."
> > and "XN--IO0A7I." already. You must use alternative roots to exchange emails
> > with people living in those domains.
>
> Unfortunately, they also censor "ENYO.".

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
means."

The English-language dictionary does not contain the words willkommen or
verstehen.  But that is NOT censorship.  It is simply because those
words are not defined in that language.

The current root name servers - the REAL ones - have a limited set of
domains that are defined in them.  They are not censoring any others.
The others are simply not (yet?) defined.  I am sure that some have been
submitted and rejected.  I believe that most of them have not even been
submitted.

Please drop this word "censor", since you hopefully now have a better
understanding of what it does NOT mean.

And, as someone else pointed out, you can always use your "hosts" file
if you want to have your own set of defined names that are not part of
shared DNS.

--
Joe Yao